I spent some of the morning looking over some more R code information. Dr. Koch came in later and he set me up with a server account, and showed me some back-up options using Sync Toy.

Later we were discussing editor options for R we decided to install Tinn-R on my machine. It looked like a great tool when he showed it to me, but for some reason we could not get the thing to work properly on my machine. We followed the instructions on the BioInformatics site, but it just wouldn’t work for me. We would get the error message object “.trPaths” not found every time we ran a script. We were able to override this (once) using the source() option, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having an editor, right?

We did everything! Editing files manually, uninstalling Tinn-R and reinstalling. Checking to make sure all the files were being pointed to correctly. Nope! Would not work. After he left for the night, I tried some more. I eventually uninstalled both Tinn-R and R and reinstalled, setting the Rgui setting to SDI at install (hoping that would help … see page 4 of the install instructions from bioinformatics).

I finally was feeling very discouraged and did a search for “object “.trPaths” not found.” Search results netted a few solutions; none of them worked. I tried searching the R project site and tried that solution; also didn’t work. Then I thought, maybe its that I have the newest release (2.14.1), so I ran a google search for installing tinn-r to run with r 2.14.1.

The second result was a blog post about RStudio, so I gave it a try. Voila! It works!

I didn’t have to change any options or files. Note: I was only able to play with it for a minute or two, but it looks very similar to the MATLAB environment. I think I’m gonna like it.

Uninstalling Tinn-R now.  Re-updating my Rprofile.site file, and done!

Advertisements