Anthony is teaching lab this afternoon and asked me to start a batch of e.coli… all by myself. At first I was thinking, “Sure, no big deal. I’ve done this several times with you.” Then I got to the lab and got all nervous. Silly me.
Here is the procedure I followed:
- put on gloves – very important not to contaminate myself.
- get supplies:
- 10mL tube and pipette
- inoculating loop, Green 10 x 1µL
- autoclaved test tube
- LB broth
- agar plate with e.coli – LB Day 2 batch
- Remove cover from LB broth and pipette 10mL of broth into test tube.
- Re-cover test tube and broth.
- Dispose of pipette tube in bio-hazard bin.
- Remove parafilm from agar plate.
- Using inoculating loop, get a single colony of e.coli on loop.
- Put loop in test tube and swirl for a few seconds.
- Dispose of loop in bio-hazard bin.
- Recover test tube.
- Place test tube in incubator at 37 C.
- Re-cover agar plate and seal with new parafilm.
- Place agar plate and LB broth back in refrigerator.
Everything went smoothly. I didn’t spill or contaminate anything (this is so silly, I feel like the first time I got to ride my bike without my parents watching). We should have some new e.coli tomorrow to use for this week’s experiments.
See you all then!