May 5, 2012
2011/12 REU Daily Feed, D2O, DDW (Deuterium Depleted Water effects), e.ecoli, FTIR, ONS (Open Notebook Science)
Yesterday afternoon I gave my final presentation for the NSF REU. I’ve posted it on Slideshare for you all to see. It wasn’t real obvious, until I started working on the presentation, how much Anthony and I have done over the last several months. We’ve gotten a lot accomplished!
I have had such a great experience this year that I volunteered to continue coming to the lab this summer. Thankfully Anthony and Dr. Koch aren’t tired of me and agreed to let me stay involved this summer. I hope to be able to work in Koch Lab at least 4 hours a week. I’m interested to see how the e.coli in D2O progresses.
Also, Anthony is really moving and shaking in the Open Notebook Science community. This is really exciting to me. I’ll be taking my ONS experience with me to my next opportunity…
I’ve been given another NSF internship opportunity, the STEM Talent Expansion Program (STEP), for the summer. [I think that is the right link… the NSF site is down for maintenance until tomorrow night. Let me know if the link isn’t correct]. I’ll be working part-time with Dr. Ramiro Jordan, who seemed open to me keeping an online notebook. Stay tuned for some information about VHDL and circuits.
I am indebted and full of gratitude for all the support and guidance that both Anthony and Dr. Koch gave me this past year. Thank you seems like not enough. Thank you both.
April 17, 2012
2011/12 REU Daily Feed, D2O, DDW (Deuterium Depleted Water effects), e.ecoli
Today Anthony and I are tracking e.coli growth over several hours. His post is detailed, so I wont repeat all the nitty-gritty here (I’ll add a link when he posts his notes).
First we took baseline readings using the Thermo Nanodrop 2000C. Then we made three new batches of diluted e.coli from the batch I ‘Koched’ up yesterday, diluted with LB broth in 1:2, 1:5, and 1:10 parts. Then we put the three batches in the incubator at 37º C and every hour took new spectroscopic readings.
During one of our in-between-spectroscopic-reading-times we ran out to lunch. We went to the Guava Tree Cafe… OMG… absolutely delicious. We both had a stuffed Arepa. I had La del Perro and Anthony had Arepa Pabellón. If you live in Albuquerque you have to try this place. If you don’t live here but get a chance to visit, make sure you eat here at least once. You wont regret it.
April 11, 2012
2011/12 REU Daily Feed, D2O, DDW (Deuterium Depleted Water effects), e.ecoli, Uncategorized, Yeast
After 12+ hours in the incubators we have growth… well almost. Neither one of the yeast agar plates grew anything. However, both the LB broth and LB agar plate grew e.coli, and the YPD broth grew yeast.
So today we did a few things:
- We set up two new YPD agar plates using starter culture from the YPD broth that we grew last night. One agar plate is in the 24° C incubator and the other is at room temperature.
- We decided to grow some more e.coli colonies on an additional LB agar plate using starter culture from the LB broth that we grew last night. It is now in the 37º C incubator.
- We took spectroscopic readings of our samples using the Thermo Nanodrop 2000C. We used 2mL of the YPD and LB broth and then did the same with 2mL of each starter culture.
Baseline Spectroscopy of Yeast and E.Coli
April 10, 2012
2011/12 REU Daily Feed, D2O, DDW (Deuterium Depleted Water effects), e.ecoli, Yeast
Today Anthony and I started preparation for DDW and D2O experiments with yeast and e. coli. Anthony has a few posts about our past growth experiments. Previously we were successful growing both organisms however, we didn’t get into the DDW or D2O phase of the experiments.
The yeast we are using is S. cerevisiae, g160/2d. We are growing three samples. One sample is being grown in YPD broth that is a mixture of 50mL SIGMA Db/processed water and 2.5g of USB YPD Broth (ultrapure). The other two samples are on 100mm YPD Agar plates from Teknova. One plate is in the incubator with the broth mixture at 24 degrees C. The other plate we are leaving out at room temperature.
We are growing two samples of DH5α™ e. coli. The first sample on a 100mm LB Agar plate (also from Teknova). The second is in an LB broth mixture of 1g LB broth mixed with 50mL of Dbl processed water, both from SIGMA. Both samples are in the incubator at 37 degrees C.
We made LB and YPD broth by carefully measuring the indicated amount of broth powder using the lab’s Ohause Adventurer SL balance and small weight boats. We then poured the powder from the weight boat into 50mL beakers and added 50mL of water. We then used magnetic stirrers and a hotplate/stirrer to mix both broths. The LB broth was autoclaved.
Tomorrow we should have some samples ready to go. We are planning on first seeing if we can grow deuterium resistant strains of both the yeast and e.coli. After that we will see how the resistant strains fair in DDW.